- Travel Grants for Conferences
- Stays Abroad
- Professional courses and language courses
- Joint Doctoral Degrees (Cotutelle de thèse)
- Travel Allowance
Travel Grants for Conferences
The presentation of research findings on national or international conferences and workshops is an essential part of your academic career.
Support for international travel (if not financed by your Chair or from project funds) can be applied for through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Please note that applications have to be made at least four month before the trip takes place.
Further information is provided by DAAD. Support can be granted within the program to support the travel to conferences  (Kongressreiseprogramm) as well as the travel program for speakers and presenters  (Vortragsreisen).
Please consult the DAAD database for additional programs . Applications for the DAAD funds including DAAD travel grants may be handed in at any time as long as they are submitted at least four months prior to the first day of participation.
Should no financial means be available at the Chair, doctoral candidates can apply for support from TU Berlin through the TU-DOC Office. TU Travel Grants  are available to doctoral candidates if they actively participate in a conference or workshop and can demonstrate an active culture of supervision.
To a small extent PhD researchers can also receive support from the Association of Friends of the TU Berlin for their travel expenses.
As part of the European Union’s
Erasmus scheme, the TU Berlin has cooperation agreements with a number
of partner institutions around Europe and supports not only the
exchange of students but also the mobility of academic personnel in
the framework of short-term teaching visits.
Please contact our International Office  for further information.
Long-term stays of early-stage researchers at foreign universities and research institutions are funded by a number of institutions. Support varies regarding to the available funding, selection procedures as well as application requirements and deadlines. The duration of such stays varies, normally between three and twelve month.
Further information can be found at the funding database EURAXESS  or on these websites
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft 
German Academic Exchange Service
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation 
Fulbright Kommission 
In 2018 and 2019 the TU-DOC Office held the information event Go International - Mobility options for doctoral students and Postdocs. Information and presentations from the event can be found here .
Professional courses and language courses
Applications for professional courses can be submitted anytime.
As part of the Promos  program supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) the TU Berlin offers several part time scholarships. The scholarships are available for TU students who intend to visit professional courses and language courses abroad.
Professional courses must include a teaching component and can be supported from a minimum of 5 days to a maximum of 6 weeks. Language courses at state universities abroad  from 3 weeks to 6 months are eligible for support.
In both cases the financial support may include living expenses supported by a lump sum of 300-500 Euro per month as well as a lump sum of 500 EUR for course fees. In case of approval, the selection committee will decide on the exact amount of the scholarship on the basis of the submitted documents.
Please find more information with regard to the monthly scholarship rates on the document from the International Office. 
Applications are open to doctoral students who are members of the TU Berlin (doctoral students or employees). Applications are accepted at any time and are granted as long as funds are available.
The following documents must be submitted in single copy.
- Letter of motivation letter (max. 2 pages), which responds especially to benefits of the course with regard to the doctoral project or the future academic career. This statement must be signed by the supervisor;
- Confirmation of participation or proof of registration for the specialized course as well as other information regarding the course content (brochures etc.) and fees;
- Academic CV listing details about academic qualifications as well as study, teaching or research focuses;
- Proof of the status as doctoral candidate (copy of the enrolment for the doctoral studies, assumption for doctorate from the respective faculty or working contract);
- personal tax ID (personal 11-digit tax identification number, to be found on income tax assessment or employment tax statement)
- registered address
Joint Doctoral Degrees (Cotutelle de thèse)
The doctoral regulations of TU Berlin allow the
possibility to pursue a joint doctoral degree at two universities
according to the so-called cotutelle procedure.
Based on an equal share of work at both partner institutions the candidate is granted a joint doctoral degree and is allowed to hold the respective title in each country (e.g. a Dr.rer.nat in Germany and a PhD in the United Kingdom).
Interested candidates should contact their faculty administration after consulting with their supervisor/s.
Currently there are joint doctoral programs with the following universities:
- East China University of Science and Technology 
- Ben-Gurion University of the Negev 
- Warsaw University of Technology 
- Peter the Great Saint-Petersburg Polytechnic University 
- Politecnico di Milano 
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile 
- Universidad Técnica Federica Santa Maria, Valparaiso 
- University of Technology Sydney 
- Tongji University 
- Norwegian University of Sience and Technology 
- Amirkabir University of Technology 
- Univerità di Pisa 
General information is provided by German Rector's Conference (HRK) . Interested doctoral candidates should discuss the matter with their respeted supervisor before contacting the faculty service centre  of their faculty.
Please be adviced to consider the ELFI  database to browse available travel allowances that meet your specific needs.
ContactSusanne Teichmann (VB1)
Room FH 602
+49 (0)30 314-25908
e-mail query